Nigel Bowen Chambers has 21 practising full-time barristers and 1 reader. The chambers was founded in 1991.
The Members of Nigel Bowen Chambers practise in all Courts and Tribunals and in most areas of law, although specialise particularly in Intellectual Property, Commercial Law and Equity, Defamation and Media Law, Construction Law, Environmental and Planning Law, and Public Law.
Nine members of Chambers are senior counsel. The other members range in seniority from new barristers to experienced senior juniors. We have a reader’s room and our readers usually stay with us for 6 months or a year, reading with a member of Chambers, and appearing frequently with other members.
Nigel Bowen Chambers was named in honour of Sir Nigel Bowen – an eminent Australian Barrister, Attorney-General and Judge.
Between 1936 and 1964 he practised as an advocate specializing in commercial equity and intellectual property matters, developing an Australia-wide practice before he was appointed Queen’s Counsel in 1953, elected to the Federal Parliament in 1964 and appointed Federal Attorney-General in 1966.
It was in that capacity that he introduced and played a large personal role in shaping the landmark Copyright Act 1968 and initiated the process that led to the passing of the equally progressive Administrative Decisions (Judicial Review) Act 1977. During this time he set up and administered the enquiry which led to the establishment of the Federal Court, and also served as Minister for Education and Science and Minister for Foreign Affairs.
In 1973 he was appointed the Chief Judge in Equity of the Supreme Court of New South Wales and in 1976 he was appointed the founding Chief Judge – later Chief Justice – of the Federal Court; the establishment of which owed so much to his efforts while Attorney-General.
In 1990 Sir Nigel retired as one of the most respected Australian jurists of the second half of the twentieth century, and we soon after asked his permission to allow us to name our Chambers after him. He graciously consented and was present when we first opened our doors in 1991.
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation.